[wellylug] Installfest flyers

Andrej andrej at paradise.net.nz
Tue Sep 6 16:45:24 NZST 2005

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 16:06, Jethro Carr wrote:

> TEXT INSTALL:
> - 200Mhz CPU
> - 64MB RAM
> - 1GB disk space
>
> (not much is needed, and a text install is nice and quick)
>

> GRAPHICAL INSTALL
> - 600Mhz CPU
> - 128MB RAM
> - 2GB or 3GB diskspace? Distros can vary heaps in size. I'm
> not sure of the size of the latest mandrake or suse installs.
>
> (my gnome 2.8 install runs using only around 117MB of ram,
> whilst running evolution email, a webserver and a terminal.
> 128MB, is not lightning fast, but it will run a GUI quite
> happily.)
>
> there are a large amount of computers running around with
> 128MB of ram, from only a couple of years ago, when all
> computers with winXP came with only 128MB of ram. We don't
> want to alienate these people from having a GUI.
I'm afraid that with the current versions of the big contenders
that we will be presenting the minimum specs (considering
the time it will take to do the package selections for the VERY
limited disk-space you're asking for) would be rather time-
consuming per individual install. Slackware, sure ;) ... I can
fit the entire distro (just) into 3GB.  But Mandriva and SuSE?

Cheers,
Andrej