[wellylug] Samba PDC/OpenLDAP on SuSE - Off topic

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Tue Sep 13 11:55:03 NZST 2005

On 13/09/2005, at 12:06 AM, Matt Brown wrote:

> Heh, I find this very amusing, Wikipedia is 1000% times more
> complex and
> hard to edit in my opinion...
>
> What part of the NZ Linux Wiki do you find confusing? We're always
> looking for ways to improve it.

Wikipedia makes sense because it is just like an encyclopedia and
like an encyclopedia everything is nicely divided into
compartmentalized sections about a specific thing.
The confusing part about the NZ Linux Wiki is that its subject matter
is not so discrete and most of the content could exist in lots of
different sections (and there's stuff about Osama Bin Laden?). Doing
a search for Samba came up with about a dozen different articles that
all dealt with slightly different derivations of the same concept. I
wasn't too sure whether to make my own page up or just tack my link
onto the twelve different pages. In the end I've added a link on the
bottom of a few of the pages.

Also there didn't seem to be an easy way of getting back to the start
page or to the Categories pages without pressing the back button or
editing the URL in the titlebar.
I guess in the end a little more visual hierarchy would have helped
quite a bit in understanding where I was in the site.
For example a breadcrumbs trail: Home -> Networking -> Windows
Networking -> SambaPDC

Don't get me wrong its a good idea but it just felt like it needed a
lightweight category system sitting on top of the basic Wiki to help
divide things out a bit clearer.

David