Debian/Ubuntu as cruelty? (was Re: [wellylug] ubuntu help.... & SimplyMEPIS Linux)

Cliff Pratt enkidu at cliffp.com
Fri Aug 18 21:26:26 NZST 2006

Andrej wrote:

> On Friday 18 August 2006 19:36, Cliff Pratt wrote:
>> doing so, and leaving someone with a system that they will not
>> be able to update.
 >
> How does installing a deb file render the machine un-update-able?
>
> I've installed debs, and apt-get and synaptic are quite happy to
> do my bidding... are you sure you know what you're talking about
> just there?

Installing a deb does not make a machine impossible to update. Not
configuring the system for updates *does* make a machine difficult to
update, regardless of whether or not they have Internet access *at the
moment*.

The OP installed a Distro whose package system he had no knowledge of,
and which he did not configure for possible future updates. He did not
even install the updates which would have accrued between the time that
the distro was compiled and when he installed it.

His victim has a system that hasn't got any recent updates and that the
victim will have difficulty updating (should he find a bug with one of
the installed packages).

If I installed a Fed system or a Slack system or a Suse system or a
RedHat system or a Debian/Ubuntu system I would made damn sure that the
recipient would know what he/she had to do to get updates, and I would
configure it as best I could for such updates, even if the system were
locked in a bunker, powered only by a dry cell and a bicycle generator.

Let's let this drop, PLEEEEASE!

Cheers,

Cliff