[wellylug] Buy 3-head PC pre-loaded with Linux

Nic Cave-Lynch nic at tymar.com
Mon Dec 11 11:20:00 NZDT 2006

I appreciate that BogoMips isn't a real performance characteristic, but I've
found over the years are fair correlation between the Bogomips and the perceived
performance for my requirements. It's therefore much easier to give a bogomips
figure as a requirement, than to say 'compiles application X in Y minutes or
less', which no-one else can use since they haven't got application X to compile.

I guess, fundamentally, it's a difference in perception: you perceive that
Bogomips is irrelevant for your assessment of performance, and I say it
correlates reasonably well with _my_ assessment of performance. Who's to say
who's right?

Nic