[wellylug] Relevant qualifications for Linux Administration. (Was: follow-up on job-ad-question ...)

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 15:37:07 NZDT 2006

On 2/11/06, Lyndsay Mountfort wrote:

> Don't want to start an off-topic debate here and I'm no expert in
> employment law, but I understand that hiring someone on a temporary
> contract for what is really a permanent role is no longer legal under
> the Employment Relations Act. In fact I seem to recall that TVNZ came a
> spectacular public cropper over that one recently...

Well since you have started one :-)....

My understanding is that you can hire someone on a permanent contract
with certain performance criteria written into it (i.e. performing at
a certain level by a set date) and then dismiss them if they fail to
meet the criteria.  Due process needs to be observed, but it can
certainly be done.  An alternative is to use fixed-term contract,
which happens all the time.

As for qualifications, I'd suggest a CompSci degree wouldn't be a bad
start.  Recruitment agencies are obsessed with vocational
qualifications (RHCE is one of those) or experience in certain
technologies, but a GOOD CompSci degree implies a decent theoretical
foundation and an ability to pick up new material quickly.  These
days, a CompSci degree probably also implies some experience with
Linux/BSD, at least at NZ universities.

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')