[wellylug] Very Important: Meeting of 13th Feb 2005

David Murray newslists at electronincantation.net.nz
Thu Feb 16 06:14:28 NZDT 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Mark Foster wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, David Murray wrote:

>>> As far as I'm aware one of the few obligations as such is to send the IRD
>>> an Annual Financial Statement, which can be created in something like
>>> MYOB. I may be wrong about having to be audited, but it seems unnecessary
>>> for a organisation such as WellyLUG..
>>
>> My understanding, having been on a few committies over the years, is that
>> all incorporated societies need to submit a statement of accounts annually,
>> and that the accounts need to be supported by a statement from an auditor
>> that says to the effect they are a true and correct record of the
>> organisations finances.
>>
>> This is not an onerous task.
>
> David,
>
> I'll conceed the point on the cost.  I think from memory the Auditor that
> Papakura Radio Club has designated charges ~$150 to audit the yearly books,
> which would likely be somewhat more complex that the LUGs.
>
> I guess the point I was trying to make - and failing badly - is that there
> _is_ a financial cost, and therefore we'd need to seek membership fees or
> donations from people who attend meetings, or _something_ to cover the cost
> of sundries... which changes the membership dynamic, and may not in the end
> be worth the trouble....

My point is that any financial cost to a non-profit society would be
minimal (bottle of wine, etc) if that society secured the services of an
accountant who would be prepared to audit the accounts as their
contribution to that organisation.

It would be a case of someone doing a little research.

Regards

David Murray