[wellylug] Very Important: Meeting of 13th Feb 2005

David Murray newslists at electronincantation.net.nz
Thu Feb 16 10:18:04 NZDT 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Jethro carr wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 20:13 +0000, Jim Cheetham wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 11:20:16PM +1300, David Murray wrote:
>>> Somewhere else to consider, both for pamphlets, and for possibly
>>> installing a Linux desktop... The Wellington People's Centre.
>>
>> Also hook up to the Green community - especially with Nandor speaking
>> for Open Source, perhaps we should help expose Greens to what's going
>> on?
>
> I don't belive that having Nandor's support is beneficial. Nandor is
> known for being "out-of-there" and having his support deters many people
> (especially businesses) from seeing Linux as mainstream.
>
> Linux groups in NZ should be targeting parties like Act, who want to
> promote the use of open source, and who are usually reasonably well
> respected.
>
> Politics are really something left for NZOSS todo though - Isn't that
> their purpose?

I would have suggested that ALL political parties (the Parties, not the
politicians of the parties) with representation in Parliament should be
provided with a regular copy of the latest, best distro of Linux and Open
Office, together with an offer to install it on computer(s) and with all
their staff welcome to come along to WellyLUG to ask questions.

What about WellyLUG walking with a large version of Tux in the next
Christmas Parade here in Wellington? We could hand out CDs of SuSE, with a
pamphlet detailing how to find WellyLUG, all the way from the northern end
of Lampton Quay right down to Courtenay Place.

I suppose that might be considered to be a "membership drive" ;o)

Regards

David Murray