[wellylug] Widescreen LCD with Xorg

Ewen McNeill wellylug at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Tue Jan 10 23:36:29 NZDT 2006

In message <1136876229.3231.18.camel at amber.localdomain>, Jethro Carr writes:
>I just got a widescreen LCD (yay!), but I'm having some issues with
>Xorg. The model is the Philips Brilliance 200W, and Xorg is 6.8.2.
>[...]
>Does anyone (not "someone", Bret! ;-) know how I get the settings for
>ModeLine or alternatively, know how to get this monitor to work! It
>wants stuff like the Hdisp, which I have never heard of before.

Does gtf(1) help?  It takes a x/y resolution and refresh frequency and
generates a modeline for you based on a general formal for (VESA) modes.
It got pretty close to what I wanted when setting X.org up on a new
machine.  AFAICT it's distributed with X.org; in ubuntu it's in the
xserver-xorg-core package.   (For LCDs you generally want 60Hz refresh.)

Ewen