[wellylug] SMb server set up in Ubuntu

Andrew zrx1100 at paradise.net.nz
Tue Jan 24 19:54:29 NZDT 2006

Hi all,

I don't currently have a Linux box and never got skilled enough to do
this so is there someone who can tell me exactly the steps to take to
do this? As I said I can't test it and I don't have access to his
machine.

He wants to share a directory on his Linux box with his OSX Mac. It has
his music on it. He has four users set up on the Linux box:
casacaracol, casa (ID sub 500), Cara (ID sub 500), or caracol

We are trying to use SMB shares. It is on Ubuntu, the Breezy Badger
install. We have got the Linux box to see the iMac but every attempt to
connect the other way gives us an unknown user or password response.

The directory to share is /media/hdb3/ as any of casacaracol, casa (ID
sub 500) Cara (ID sub 500), or caracol. User casacaracol can connect
but can't cd.
How should this be this set up? Step by step instructions please -
we're both novices with training wheels.

Cheers
Andrew
zrx1100 at paradise.net.nz