[wellylug] Migrating Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 To Linux

Cliff Pratt enkidu at cliffp.com
Tue Jul 18 20:00:36 NZST 2006

David Harrison wrote:
> On 18/07/2006, at 10:56 AM, Peter Jones wrote:
>
>> Ximian Evolution has pretty good outlook capabilities, from what  Ive
>> seen.
>> A novell product so it's going to cost something
>> http://www.novell.com/linux/download_linux.html
>

> Evolution is just a Linux client not an exchange server replacement
> unfortunately.
>
> Novell make GroupWise which my Novell friends tell me is really great
> (but lacks real Outlook integration):
> http://www.novell.com/products/groupwise/
>
> Unfortunately from a user perspective the GroupWise client seems also
> to be universally hated but it is getting better.
> I know of many organisations around Wellington that have migrated off
> GroupWise just because of the client (Outlook has very good CEO appeal).

Universally hated is putting it mildly. It is admittedly many years
since I used it, but I still have nightmares! These things happened to
me and they are only the ones that I remember:

1) The address book or whatever it is called would suddenly fill up with
hundreds of copies of the same entry.

2) The address book or whatever it is called would not open at all.

3) I would suddenly see someone else's mail and vice versa. Closing out
and opening it again solved this. (This happened fairly often. The techo
told me that it was impossible. When I demonstrated it, I was accused of
hacking the system!)

4) It would suddenly refuse to send any email at all. (This seemed to
happen to groups of people rather than individuals).

5) It would open up to an empty mail box. This was usually temporary.

6) A strange email would appear which couldn't be opened, couldn't be
delete, but could be moved about. Eventually it would disappear on its own.

7) On one famous occasion it emailed the whole of one of the manager's
mailbox to everyone in his address book.

None of these is unknown in other email systems, but Groupwise seems to
have had more of them at one time than any other system I used at the
time. Many years ago. Then we went on to Lotus Notes. Which brought its
own set of annoyances!

I'm assuming that things have improved.

Cheers,

Cliff