[wellylug] E-mail from Ben L

Jeremy Naylor jeremy.naylor at r2.co.nz
Thu Jul 20 14:19:21 NZST 2006

Hey guys,

This is an e-mail that Ben L sent to the list, via me:

TO : wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz

Hi Richard,

I noticed that you posted a message here...

http://lists.naos.co.nz/pipermail/wellylug/2005-June/012849.html

...regarding your laptop, and was wondering if you had had any success?
I have the exact same laptop (brought it from dick smith as well), but
cannot seem to get wireless working either. One avenue that Im sure
that the solution lies in using ndiswrapper. If you google this im
sure you'll find a tutorial (if not let me know, and I'll dig up the
one i found). I have tried using it, and get "hardware present"
reported after configuring installing the module, but am unable to
actually access the device /dev/wlan0. I also have tried contacting
ASUS for a solution but they are unwilling to give any help on the
matter. The modem (not surprisingly) isnt working either. Ive tried
using slmodem, which creates a /tdv/tty device, but again, im unable
to use it.

Id be interested in finding out what screen resolution you use? Im
still using 800x600 , and I'm unsure how you can go about settings
this to a more usable size.

Anyway, let me know how you've got on, and if you have made any
progress, and I'll keep you posted if I get any further.

Regards,
Ben.

Thanks,

Jeremy Naylor