[wellylug] Compiling Debian Vanilla Kernel - Help Needed

Hamish Low sub_acoustic at yahoo.co.nz
Sat Jun 3 09:11:05 NZST 2006

Hi,
 From being a total newbie, it's been a fairly steep learning curve with
linux.  Not for most desktop stuff, Ubuntu was so easy and great but
I've run into some bad luck with pro-audio soundcards, having bought one
that alsa-project said was supported but wasn't, and now one which will
work, but requires a rebuilt kernel to do so.  I received a lot of very
helpful, (though sometimes conflicting and sometimes misleading advice)
from the Linux-audio-user and agnula-user lists, and have a fairly good
handle on what needs to be done, but I'm limited by my lack of
background knowledge.

I'm using DeMudi, a Debian Music Distribution and after 10 or so
attempts to build a working vanilla kernel, following the instructions
on http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/Low-latencyKernelBuildingHowto

Anyway I need some help to get this working.  If I can just get a
vanilla kernel that boots then my soundcard will be usable and I'll be
able to apply the real-time patches and start making some music.  I
guess it would involve showing you what's happening now when i build the
kernel, and some tips on changing the configuration so that it works.

Can anyone help?

Climbing Taranaki this weekend, back on Monday.

thanks

Hamish