[wellylug] Opensouce "infectious" and should be "Quarantined"- NZ Government..

Timothy Goddard interfecus at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 11:02:35 NZDT 2006

David Murray wrote:

> Would you say that very many layers of well maintained "filing
> cabinet" grade security devices are better than one honking great safe
> with three-feet-thick walls and a silent combination lock?
>

> Regards
>
> David Murray

If the contents of the safe is my savings, sure! But if the contents of
the safe is not that important, just a filing cabinet will do. It's not
simply a case of what is better, but a case of the combination of the
costs and potential losses that best suits an individual situation. As I
said, the high grade security (the safe) is often cheap enough to be
worth using, especially in a corporate setting ,but you wouldn't buy a
safe to protect your child's homework.

To get back to your question, you're right that the safe security is
better than layered filing cabinet security where possible, but it is
frequently the case that some layering (such as having both a 'hardware'
firewall and the software firewalls on individual computers) can be
sufficiently cheaper that it becomes a viable option.