[wellylug] Should I or shouldnt I?

Bret Comstock Waldow bwaldow at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 22 19:34:44 NZST 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:27, Steve Macdonald wrote:
> Ok so I have had a bit of a play around with Xandros, still dont know
> much but I want to learn a little so was wondering if its worth me
> messing around with some of the other Linux Operating Systems. I brought
> a copy of Ubantu from Dick Smiths today. I originally installed Xandros
> as I was sick of Microshaft and was just prepared to using it as a
> standard user but this is all rather interesting so I want to know more.

I installed Xandros 3 for an aggressively non-computer savvy friend in Dec 04.
I've done some tech support over the phone since then (NZ -> Oz).

Xandros tries to cater to Windows users, and invents and follows a number of
conventions to accomplish this.  I was able to work out what was going on and
provide solutions in most cases.

I'd try a live CD of (K)ubuntu and see if you obviously don't want it.  You
might want to stay with Xandros just to get some of your money's worth out of
it - and the CrossOver office support is a bonus worth paying for, if you
need it.

Xandros doesn't quite arrange things the "Linux way", but if you're looking to
get under the skin anyway, there's nothing keeping you from approaching it
that way.

I'd base the choice on CrossOver Office, and whether you can find sources for
any packages you specifically want to run - are they available from Xandros's
own repositories?  Are they available for (K)ubuntu (which is not quite in
step with Debian, although many packages work - look in the forums and wiki)?

Regards,
Bret