[wellylug] Important: Rule Breaking Process

Ewen McNeill wellylug at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Thu Mar 23 12:07:00 NZST 2006

In message <57361.134.159.99.8.1143068435.squirrel at www.rikwade.com>, "Rik Wade" writes:
>Anyway, in the absence of a wellylug_admin list, I have a question related
>to the advertising policy under discussion.

>Let's say I am looking for Linux hosting in NZ, or am looking to co-locate
>a server with a Linux-friendly host here in Wellington. This is an obvious
>thing to ask on a Linux LUG list [...]
>The response to this question is most likely going to be commercial in
>nature, and may originate directly from a company selling such services.

If the responses are made directly to you, off the list, then no one
would get upset (or even know).  Various vendors who are subscribed
to Wellylug are already good about doing this (ie, replying "off list"
to anything where they're making a commerical offering).

As for the original post it may or may not be appropriate for wellylug
depending on how it was worded; Jeremy and I are happy to preview
anything you might think is borderline.

As I said previously this meta-discussion is more relevant to the wellylug
organisation list and would be more appropriate there.  FWIW, no amount
of dictionary definitions or arguments about how good it might be to
have certain types of "offers" posted to the Wellylug list is going to
change Naos's opinions of what it is willing to host.  Wellylug is of
course free to move the mailing list somewhere else if it wishes to do
so (and if moved by experience people this could be done with minimal
interuption, and without requiring my/Naos's involvement -- I'm happy to
assist if asked).  I strongly suggest that those that feel something
needs to change subscribe to the wlug_org list and disucss it there.

Can we go back to talking about Linux here now?

Ewen