[wellylug] Weird DNS issue with Xtra DNS

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Sun May 14 16:09:20 NZST 2006

Thanks for the info Michael on Xtra's issues.

On 14/05/2006, at 3:23 PM, Mark Foster wrote:

> I have no problems resolving xtra hosted DNS from outside of Xtra.
>
> Note that Ihug as far as I know reject external DNS queries anyway,
> as a Paradise customer you shouldnt be using NS outside of Clear/
> Paradise as a client anyway...

If iHug was blocking DNS then I don't think this command would work
(though I might be wrong):

nslookup - 203.109.252.42
 > www.google.com
Server:         203.109.252.42
Address:        203.109.252.42#53

Non-authoritative answer:
www.google.com  canonical name = www.l.google.com.
Name:   www.l.google.com
Address: 66.102.7.147
Name:   www.l.google.com
Address: 66.102.7.99
Name:   www.l.google.com
Address: 66.102.7.104

Plus from painful experience I've found the Paradise DNS isn't rock
solid so its always useful to have a fallback position outside
Telstra's network. There's nothing worse than having working Internet
access but no name resolution. Its like getting a remote controlled
car on Christmas without batteries.