[wellylug] Looking for a wireless network card

michael at diaspora.gen.nz michael at diaspora.gen.nz
Mon May 29 07:26:11 NZST 2006

>Don't you hate it when the manufacturer starts using a different chipset
>and doesn't change the card model number.  I had a similar issue with a
>NetGear card I made sure to get a revision 3.0 card because I knew they
>were supported by Linux but when I'd installed the card it turned out to
>have a completely different (unsupported) chipset in it.  Apparently
>revision 3.0 cards marked made in Taiwan were good and revision 3.0
>cards marked made in China were not Arrrggghhh!!!

There's a driver being developed for the Prism 54G SoftMAC chipset devices
now -- I had exactly the same problem myself.  I tried it, and it worked,
sort of; crashed after 10 minutes or so of use.  That was a few months
ago, so things might well have improved.  See http://prism54.org/ for
more details.

Of course, the new laptop has a built in Intel IPW 2200 chipset and radio,
so now I don't need to worry about cards sticking out the side.
    -- michael.