[wellylug] UBUNTU 5.10 Dapper. First experiences!

Cliff Pratt enkidu at cliffp.com
Sat Nov 18 09:37:01 NZDT 2006

Gerald Roehrbein wrote:
> Hello Rob,
>
> I thought Ubuntu is just a synonym for Kubuntu. Now I know it's not.
> I've read some documents about the difference. Probably I will
> install the kubuntu-desktop.
>
> I came from KDE too. Had first contact with Gnome using RHEL9. I
> missed all the wonderful KDE tools from SuSE.

I doubt that the there is a tool in KDE that is missing frome Gnome is
some form or other! I don't like the look and feel of KDE myself, though
I do have a number of KDE bits and pieces. KDE makes me think that it
was designed by Faber-Castell....

> Ubuntu look pretty much better. There are a lot of useful
> applications installed by default and (for kids) some games. Another
> benefit is that it fits to one CD. SuSE requires some DVD's and
> RedHat a lot of CD's or DVD's. On the other hand: At these media
> there  is all you need and you must not have access to the Web for
> installation of required options.

I think you are saying that you don't need access to the Internet to
install all the options that you desire. I believe that to be true of
any packaged distribution, including (K)Ubuntu.

> In a huge Computer Center having the whole OpenSource stuff at some
> DVD's is a benefit! Because direct access to the Web is very often
> forbidden in commercial environments.
>
> I will install the applications you described. Sounds good.
>
> I just plan to replace all other Linux distributions I use today with
>  Ubuntu. It's said Debian is the most stable distribution.
>
> I've just deliberated very often to use Debian and I've bought a few
> Debian boxes years ago but never opened and installed. I will give it
> a chance because Oracle seems to run with Ubuntu too. That's my main
> interest.

I wouldn't say that Debian is any more or less stable than any other distro.

Cheers,

Cliff