[wellylug] Re: MBR, GRUB .. & a capital C with a Cedilla

Gerald Roehrbein Gerald.Roehrbein at oraforecast.com
Mon Nov 20 04:29:32 NZDT 2006

Hello Adam,

I've never configured dual boot for Linux and Windows XP but for NT.

Try this link:
http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

In the past I configured triple boot for Linux, OS/2 and Windows NT 4.0.

This works if you install Windows first, than Linux (using LiLO) and
after this OS/2. The first boot loader run was the one from OS/2 and
this loaded the loader of Windows or Linux. I had to choose twice before
running my favorite OS.

Booting NT (I do not know this for Windows XP) requires the ntdetect.com
and the boot.ini. It was useful to boot from a RAID1 (with controller
duplexing) after a controller failure.

For XP have a look at this link:

http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm

So first of all I would setup a bootdisk (floppy disk!) and try to get a
running setup. This is really simple if you know how to edit the
boot.ini.

And than I would try to configure GRUB as describe at the WebSite i
referred above.

My Windows XP knowledge is not up to date. I've a good knowledge of NT,
Windows 2000 and 2003 server. I've never used XP. Sorry. My favorite
OS'es are Linux and Solaris.

kind regards
Gerald