[wellylug] Pulsar ADSL

David Harrison david.harrison at stress-free.co.nz
Thu Sep 14 18:11:15 NZST 2006

On 15/09/2006, at 9:23 AM, E.Chalaron wrote:

> Cost is AU$145.

Brand new standalone adsl units are cheaper than this and on Trademe
you can save even more.
In fact I think I've got a Linksys ADSL unit sitting in my drawer
gathering dust.

> As forwarding ports from the modem to Ipcop then to a PC seems to
> be a bit more complex than just Ipcop -> PC

Not really, Linksys/DLink devices have web interfaces that are
usually simple to operate.
All you need to do is give the IPCop a static IP address and forward
away.

> It does support up to the fabulous value of 8 Mbit/s download

I think most ADSL units do, the limitation in NZ is usually not the
modem but the quality of service.

> Ipcop does manage DynDNS, a matter for me to access my PCs from
> home to see if my movie munching is going Ok overnight.

DynDNS will still work with a standard ADSL unit, all IPCop does is
sends a web service request to DynDNS every now and then.
As long as you have Internet access this functionality will work no
matter where your ADSL unit is located.

David