[wellylug] Mac

Jo Booth thegeek at mangee.net.nz
Thu Sep 28 16:31:29 NZST 2006

On 29/09/2006, at 06:49 , E.Chalaron wrote:

> Hi all
> Who among us is using a Mac Os X.whatever ?
> How close does it relate to Linux/Unix and what could be minimum
> spec for HD video work ?
>
> Thanks

If you're talking iMovie HD (v6) in the iLife '06 package - pretty
much any mac.. generally any mac you buy off the shelf will have
iMovie installed - and while it's not a pro app - it does most of
what you need.
"High-definition video requires 1GHz G4 or faster and 512MB of RAM."

G4 is a couple of processors back - the G5 eats HD, and the new intel
duo-core xeons are up to 5x faster than generation 4.
For some of the core stuff you need at least Mac OS X v10.4.4
(Tiger), and you'd need Quartz Extreme (a decent graphics card) for
the real-time rendering and such like.
See http://www.apple.com/ilife/systemrequirements.html

Generally, i'm probably a little biased - as i'm the VP of the local
Mac Users Group - but I find joy in having a Mac system that "just
works" that still (sometimes with a little coaxing) will run
practically any open source app you stick at it. Fink allows you to
apt-get your favourite source and compile it... and with parallels
desktop i've run Ubuntu in a little window along side OS X - and it's
pretty much native speed for the less graphics intensive stuff.  With
the intel based macs - so can run and install practically any x86
OS.  I almost got to try Vista RC 2 the other day. :)

I personally found the switch to mac from linux (circa 2001) very
easy - and haven't really looked back.  I still run linux on a laptop
- until I get a job and get a new Mac Book Pro ;)

If you're doing anything creative, particularly HD video, a Mac base
is probably your best bet - and it's an even better with the intel
switch. with Xgrid you can distribute rendering to a bunch of idle
machines in your office ;) - and the proposed PodCast Studio in
Leopard (OS X 10.5) looks to make work-flows for video production as
easy and plugging in your camera, and grabbing the HD DVD as it pops
out the drive.

If you're doing more serious (money making) work with HD video --
then take a look at Final Cut Pro.  I'm sure some of the local DV
group could give you a play.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs.html?finalcutpro
"HD features require 1GHz or faster single or dual processors
(authoring HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo processor,
or Intel Xeon processor)"

Hope that helps.

PS:  THis weekend brings together some of my loves in life - Macs,
Video and Movies -- the national showcase and awards ceremony for
MovieFest 2006 - check http://MovieFest.org.nz/06/home for details of
the events on Saturday (yes I will miss the installfest)

--
Jo Booth
WelMac (NMG and VP)