[wellylug] ifup -a at boot up not bringing up all interfaces

Sigurd Magnusson sigurd at silverstripe.com
Wed Apr 11 22:24:01 NZST 2007

The server running www.silverstripe.com had to be rebooted today and to
 my annoyance at bootup it didn't bring up all the network interfaces. It
 only brought up eth0 and lo, but there are around 10 others, of the
 format eth0:perweek which for instance, is the IP to handle an SSL
 certificate for a website requiring HTTPS. All IPs are 203.89.182.x and
 there's no fancy routing going on.

 When I noticed this, I just ran "ifup -a" and everything came to life.

 Any ideas on why this didn't happen in the first instance.

 Don't really want to reboot the machine lots of times to debug this one :P

 Linux version 2.6.8-3-686-smp (root at lart) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian
 1:3.3.5-13)) #1 SMP Thu Feb 9 07:05:39 UTC 2006
 (runs debian stable, with the obligatory few testing packages so PHP and
 so on aren't versions that paleontologists are studying)

 Siggy

 Sigurd Magnusson
 SilverStripe
 sigurd at silverstripe.com