[wellylug] Help in finding a good technical/Linux related bookstore

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Thu Jun 14 18:09:29 NZST 2007

On 6/14/07, Andrej <andrej at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> > Use java? Are you serious? A perl or even shell script can be
> > hacked around a lot easier than a java one.
> Of course not.  I hate java.  What I was trying to say is that
> people always tend to push their preferences w/o consideration
> of the requirements.  Java/Perl/Python may not always be the
> best tool for the job (even though I'm sure that hardliners of
> all of these walks will claim differently ;}).

Gosh ... and I didn't even mention my personal preference for anything over
a few hundred lines long or that needs to be very fast: Dylan

For less than that: Perl if regexps and hashes will do the job, otherwise
Ruby if you want to bring OO into play as well (or if you don't already know
Perl, which is a total bitch to learn the idioms for, which fact most of us
have probably long forgotten).

If you don't know anything now, learn Ruby because it will very conveniently
do anything that either Perl or Python will.  It's a little more wordy than
Perl (but not as bad for regexp/hash quick&dirty scripting kinda stuff as
Python is), and it's a little slower than Python, but if you care then you
probably want a compiled language anyway (Dylan, C).

At this point I think both Python and Java make no sense unless you have
legacy code to maintain or integrate with.

Hey, what can I say, I'm a mid 40's behind the times fuddy duddy :-)