[wellylug] External USB drive

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 17:27:52 NZDT 2007

Hi all

I'm looking to buy an external USB drive for my Linux box.

Requirements:

1. USB 2.0
2. Bus-powered (no external AC/DC adaptor)
3. Works with Linux usb-ehci and usb-storage drivers.

Nice to have, but certainly not essential:
4. Firewire connection

Does anybody have experience with/recommendations for drives meeting
these requirements?  Will pretty much any drive be compatible, or are
some Windows-only? (I have been to the vendor sites and they mostly
say Windows / Mac compatible, but don't tend to say anything about
Linux).

Cheers