[wellylug] Greylisting .. does it work?

Ian Beardslee ian at karearea.gen.nz
Mon Dec 29 12:38:04 NZDT 2008

On Mon, December 29, 2008 12:25 pm, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Ian Beardslee <ian at karearea.gen.nz> writes:
>
>> Actually this is a test to see if the greylisting is working or just
>> screwing with my email.
>
> It should be working, although it helps to use a tool like postgrey that
> (a) comes with a pre-build whitelist for broken services, and (b) is
> liberal about "from the same IP", by defining it as a larger chunk of
> space.

Using exim, rather than postfix.  The greylistd that was apt-get installed
on my ubuntu seems to have fitted in quite nicely with my exim setup and
had a prebuilt whitelist.

> This leads somewhere between 24 and 48 hours of delay if greylisting[1]
> is in play.

I've noticed some delays and more of the quirk where my home cable
connection is the prefered MX host.  Although I haven't done a real
thorough investigation, it seems that more email is going through my
secondary MX.. and ending up in a different account.  Something I now need
to tidy up a bit.

Just as well it is a short working week ;-)