[wellylug] YDL and PS3

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Fri Jan 4 10:35:08 NZDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 08:00 +1300, E Chalaron wrote:
> Hi Jethro
>
> Unfortunately I have been told by the main developer that the soft I am
> using the more (cinelerra) is not optimized for the Cell CPU on the PS3.
> so ... too bad I have to forget.

yes, the cell processor is very powerful but only if the application is
optimised for it.

The cell has effectively a main core which is basically a PPC processer,
which is called the PPE and then 6 SPEs which are the floating math
calculators.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_%28microprocessor%29

When Linux runs, it only uses the main PPE core, which is very similar
to a 64bit PPC chip.

The 6 SPEs are not used, unless you specifically write your application
to use them.

Basicly: The cell processor is really, really powerful IF the
application is written to use the SPEs. It also requires that the
program uses the SPEs in the write way, the SPEs are best designed to do
vectorised floating point math, so programs that require this sort of
math (such as 3D games and physics engines) will gain a huge performance
boost.

If not, you'll get far better performance if you just use a standard x86
CPU.

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com