[wellylug] (no subject)

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 19:21:04 NZDT 2008

On Jan 4, 2008 7:42 AM, MDM Productions wrote:
> Morning All,
>
> First timer, so my etiquette may need a brush-up!
> Have been drawn to Linux for a number of reasons, Redmond being one of
> the big ones, and have dipped a toe in with Puppy 3.01 loaded onto a
> memory stick. I know enough about PC's to get into bother, and nothing
> about Linux. My play machine is a 2001 Dell 860Mh, 128Mb, and 2x10Gb
> drives.

If it's any help, my main machine (a 700Mhz IBM) has only 128MB but
runs Linux well enough that I am Windows-free.

I have found that it can cope with KDE and heavyweight desktop
applications like Iceweasel and Icedove (aka Firefox and Thunderbird)
and OpenOffice.org.  The latter is a bit slow, particularly if other
things are open (reflects the limited memory), but it's acceptable.

I am running Debian etch (www.debian.org) which, you might already be
aware, is what Ubuntu is derived from.  Ubuntu will probably be an
easier introduction, but the default Ubuntu install will probably be
tougher on your limited hardware resources.

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')