[wellylug] VLC and RadioNZ MMS stream

Donovan Jones hta.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 09:45:47 NZDT 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 10:57 PM, jumbophut <jumbophut at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm having some trouble getting VLC to stream RadioNZ National's live MMS
> feed.
>
> I get anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds of perfect audio, then a big
> delay, then sometimes another few seconds (but not always).  Once I
> got 4 or 5 snatches before it died.  Sometimes I get nothing at all
> ("nothing to play" in the logs and it stops).  It's basically really
> unreliable.
>
> I'm on dial-up, so I have forced it to use 32kb/s rather than the
> optional 63.  I can see in the logs that it is choosing the slower
> stream when I do that, but that doesn't help with the reliability.
> Fiddling with buffering (up or down) hasn't helped either.
>
> I can listen quite happily to Radio Sport, an MMS feed which -- as far
> as I can tell -- comes from the same server and uses the same codec
> and bitrate (32kb/s).  This suggests it might not be a VLC issue.
>
> If you are running VLC, would you mind trying to stream
> mms://202.7.7.90/rnz-natrad and letting me know what happens?

This address is part of citylinks anycast block, so depending on your ISPs
policys you could be getting the stream from Wellington Auckland or
California. If you are with Telstra or Telecom you will be getting it from
California which could have an impact on performance especially on dialup.

to check where is coming from for you run

$ mtr 202.7.7.90

or use traceroute if you dont have mtr installed.

Donovan