[wellylug] VLC and RadioNZ MMS stream

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:24:15 NZDT 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 9:45 AM, Donovan Jones wrote:

> This address is part of citylinks anycast block, so depending on your ISPs
> policys you could be getting the stream from Wellington Auckland or
> California. If you are with Telstra or Telecom you will be getting it from
> California which could have an impact on performance especially on dialup.
>
> to check where is coming from for you run
>
> $ mtr 202.7.7.90
>
> or use traceroute if you dont have mtr installed.

Thanks to all for your help.

I'm on ihug and it seems to be peering through APE, so that's good.

I'd guess that the 8kByte/s connection is the 63kbit/s Radio NZ
stream.  My dial-up should just cope with 32kbit/s (and I can see in
the logs that it is choosing the 32kb/s stream when I force it) as it
does for RadioSport.

In any case, the fact that you are getting it to work means it's
either my dial-up, my ISP or something screwy with Debian etch's VLC
(less likely).  Might be an excuse to get with the new millennium and
upgrade to broadband :0).

Cheers

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')