[wellylug] VLC and RadioNZ MMS stream

Alex Thomson Alex.Thomson at solnetsolutions.co.nz
Fri Jan 11 09:32:37 NZDT 2008

Cliff Pratt wrote:
> jumbophut wrote:
>
>> Hi all
>>
>> I'm having some trouble getting VLC to stream RadioNZ National's live MMS feed.
>>
>> I get anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds of perfect audio, then a big
>> delay, then sometimes another few seconds (but not always).  Once I
>> got 4 or 5 snatches before it died.  Sometimes I get nothing at all
>> ("nothing to play" in the logs and it stops).  It's basically really
>> unreliable.
>>
>> I'm on dial-up, so I have forced it to use 32kb/s rather than the
>> optional 63.  I can see in the logs that it is choosing the slower
>> stream when I do that, but that doesn't help with the reliability.
>> Fiddling with buffering (up or down) hasn't helped either.
>>
>> I can listen quite happily to Radio Sport, an MMS feed which -- as far
>> as I can tell -- comes from the same server and uses the same codec
>> and bitrate (32kb/s).  This suggests it might not be a VLC issue.
>>
>> If you are running VLC, would you mind trying to stream
>> mms://202.7.7.90/rnz-natrad and letting me know what happens?
>>

> Where are these feeds to be found on the site, please?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Hey thanks O.P. for introducing me to radio via. VLC!

I have found a good site with a number of links to radio feeds playable
via. VLC- http://www.nzradioguide.co.nz/

Attention:
This email may contain information intended for the sole use of
the original recipient. Please respect this when sharing or
disclosing this email's contents with any third party. If you
believe you have received this email in error, please delete it
and notify the sender or postmaster at solnetsolutions.co.nz as
soon as possible. The content of this email does not necessarily
reflect the views of Solnet Solutions Ltd.