[wellylug] DSE Linux-loaded Laptops: Using with Printers & External HDDs etc

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Jan 13 09:27:50 NZDT 2008

--- marchetti <marchetti at clear.net.nz> wrote:

> Being aware there can be problems with PC hardware not
> supporting Linux, what about printers, scanners, HDDs and
> other devices? Is/are there list/s of such devices
> compatible with various PC brands? I would like to use Linux
> exclusively, as I am philosophically opposed to Microsoft's
> business approach, heartily dislike their software with its
> inherent vulnerability, and not prepared presently to pay
> the Apple premium. However, I do not want to get into a too
> steep a learning curve! I am a PC user only. Right now, the
> bottom line if I were to buy a DSE Linux-loaded laptop would
> be - what support is guaranteed by DSE? I have found Asus's
> Eee PC-701 easy to operate, but my only USB flash memory
> needed re-formatting, which I could not do...

I'm not sure about your flash drive, unless you had it formatted NTFS??

However... regarding the rest, the information is generally out there, but can
take a bit of searching, as the various projects working with particular types
of device tend to each have their own websites & info:

Printers:
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/Database/DatabaseIntro
http://www.openprinting.org/printer_list.cgi

Scanners:
http://www.sane-project.org/
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html

Digital cameras:
http://www.gphoto.org/
http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php

Hard drives are not likely to be a problem.

A second source of information about compatibility is from your distro support,
via HCL's (hardware compatability list). These tend to be more user generated &
maintained, sometimes using wikis, than those above, which are more developer
maintained.

eg:

Ubuntu: http://ubuntuhcl.org/pub/categories.php
Suse: http://en.opensuse.org/Hardware
      http://developer.novell.com/yessearch/Search.jsp
Fedora: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HCL

Thirdly, there are user forums all over the place, which you can google to
find, either generic ones or very specific ones, eg:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/index.php
http://hardware4linux.info/

All these often have some level of info on what is not supported as well as
what is, which can be just as useful.

And fourthly, still too uncommon but improving, manufacturer's websites may
have info on setting up their components, accessories, etc, with Linux, either
directly or via a supported third party, eg:

HP:    http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/309906-0-0-0-121.html
Epson: http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000600/hpg000000521.htm

Cheers,

  Brent Wood