[wellylug] DSE Linux-loaded Laptops: Using with Printers & External HDDs etc

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Mon Jan 14 00:29:25 NZDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 08:56 +1300, marchetti wrote:
> Being aware there can be problems with PC hardware not
> supporting Linux, what about printers, scanners, HDDs and
> other devices? Is/are there list/s of such devices
> compatible with various PC brands?

There are some lists around (like the ones Brent pointed out).

HDDs will always work, but if they are formatted in NTFS you will need
to reformat them in FAT32 in order to make them writable under Linux.

When it comes to scanners and printers, any of the HP devices have very
good support.

But not all Linux distributions are created equal - for example, a
pre-installed linux laptop vendor might decide not to include printer
support for HP printers, which would make it hard for a non-expert user
to handle.

> I would like to use Linux
> exclusively, as I am philosophically opposed to Microsoft's
> business approach, heartily dislike their software with its
> inherent vulnerability, and not prepared presently to pay
> the Apple premium. However, I do not want to get into a too
> steep a learning curve! I am a PC user only. Right now, the
> bottom line if I were to buy a DSE Linux-loaded laptop would
> be - what support is guaranteed by DSE?

You would have to ask DSE about this, there may be support provided by
the vendor of the laptop itself, but I have no idea - there may be none
at all.

> I have found Asus's
> Eee PC-701 easy to operate, but my only USB flash memory
> needed re-formatting, which I could not do...

Really? USB flash is usually always formatted with the FAT filesystem
which works on pretty much any OS around, and should work.

However, if it was formatted NTFS then it would have needed to be
re-formatted in order to be able to write. NTFS only works read-only in
Linux**.

**  Well, to be truthful there is partial write support, but it is not
really suitable for normal usage and most distributions have it
disabled.

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com