[wellylug] Internet email blocked

Jeff Hunt jeffhunt90 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 17:13:09 NZDT 2008

At work I am unable to find the server on any internet email service that I
have tried (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, paradise). I used to be able to do this
on my Ubuntu Gutsy setup on a different machine and a staff machine using
Ubuntu is ok, but when I started using a Dell tower machine with identical
configuration to my old IBM (as far as I know) I lost internet email but
nothing else. My work email and internet are fine.
My Microsoft work support team are puzzled and can't help.
Does anyone know what strange magic an internet email system can produce to
stop a particular machine?
The work site protocols do not block it and as far as I know I have all
systems on that might stop me in my computer.
I cannot ping these sites.
It sounds to me like a rights and access issue, but what rights and access?

Cheers