[wellylug] Fwd: linux sold preinstalled

robcollins55 at aim.com robcollins55 at aim.com
Tue Jan 29 21:10:54 NZDT 2008

-----Original Message-----

From: Nigel Roberts <nigel at nobiscuit.com>

To: robcollins at bigfoot.com; Wellington Linux Users Group <wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz>

Sent: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 9:20 am

Subject: Re: [wellylug] linux sold preinstalled

Hi Rob,

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 at 14:01:18 +1300, Rob Collins wrote:

> Thinking of getting one of these machines.  Has anyone assessed these for

> regular kind of home users requirements ie, does DVD playback work ok once

> codecs installed, does other media playback ok, how is graphic/photo

> handling/editing in eg gimp, how does flash media perform, any

> sound/display issues?  Any help invaluable.

I haven't had a chance to check DVD. As it stands I don't think I can

recommend this laptop as long as Suspend/Hibernate doesn't work

correctly. If you're prepared to reinstall the OS (possibly with

Debian Testing) it might be worth it, and it's certainly fast enough

to do all you describe, the limiting factor being its 512MB of memory.

Regards,

Nigel

Ta Nigel, bought the DSE laptop in the end and wouldn't you know it had trouble configuring the DVD+CDRW to play back dvd's!? Here's what ive done so far:

- installed the "ubuntu restricted extras" package with the ubuntu "add/remove applications" dialogue

- added the medibuntu repository following the instructions on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu and then installing w32codecs and libdvdcss2 as it says.

- enabled DMA for the dvd drive

result: nada.? all i get is black screens with most of the dvd's i tried on vlc, totem and mplayer.? with the exception of one dvd that played on vlc only.

Any suggestions?

More new features than ever.  Check out the new AIM(R) Mail!