[wellylug] Richard Stallman visit to wellington

Jo Booth thegeek at mangee.net.nz
Wed Jul 23 21:37:42 NZST 2008

Hey, some updated details from UP:

On 23/07/2008, at 13:05 , Peter Lambrechtsen wrote:
> I am organising Richard Stallman's (rms) visit to Wellington, thought
> I would make the Wellylug what is tentatively booked thus far.

----
Wednesday 13 Aug
- Arrive Wellington at ~11:30 (flight to be confirmed)
- Present at GGG - (www.up.org.nz/gadgets-games-geeks-08/) from 3pm -
5:30
- RSVP at http://UP.org.nz/Richard-Stallman-at-GGG
- Venue is the L2 Council Chambers - Wellington Town Hall (yes it is
the mayoral suite)

We've asked Richard to talk on the topic  "Copyright vs Community in
the Age of Computer Networks" as per the abstract:
> Copyright developed in the age of the printing press, and was
> designed to fit with the system of centralized copying imposed by
> the printing press.  But the copyright system does not fit well
> with computer networks, and only draconian punishments can enforce it.
>
> The global corporations that profit from copyright are lobbying for
> draconian punishments, and to increase their copyright powers,
> while suppressing public access to technology.  But if we seriously
> hope to serve the only legitimate purpose of copyright--to promote
> progress, for the benefit of the    public--then we must make
> changes in the other direction.

Will be of interest to anyone creating or working with digital
content, working with policy or wanting to take part in a lively
discussion on copyright (and copyleft) - as well as a chance to meet
and talk with Richard himself.

We're quickly filling up for GGG, so if you may get no places left
for the main GGG event at UP.org.nz - but you can RSVP direct at
<http://UP.org.nz/Richard-Stallman-at-GGG>
If you have objections to filling in your details, email me or
something (we only need something for the name badge and an email
address so you can change your details), and I'll make sure you have
a block of seats reserved, and some refreshments for you (No Badge,
No Beer)  If you can be there from about 14:30 onwards we'll get
straight into it at 15:00 to give you plenty of time to talk before
being invaded by the GGG masses.

Feel free to pass on the details to your colleagues, work-mates,
fellow-FSUGs and the like. We've got 150+ seats to fill - so call in
sick that afternoon ;)

Awesome to have RMS along, and he may stay for the GGG evening, if
you need to talk further.

Jo Booth
Network Facilitator
Website, Communications & Membership
Unlimited Potential - ICT Professionals' Network
http://UP.org.nz
+64 21 526684
+64 4 802 3586