[wellylug] TradeMe Linux jobs

stephen stephen at vital.org.nz
Sun Jun 29 14:40:19 NZST 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 14:56 -0700, pcreso at pcreso.com wrote:
> --- On Sat, 6/28/08, Mark Foster <blakjak at blakjak.net> wrote:
> > "Please send your CV in Word format (not as a .pdf or
> > in .html format),
> > with a cover letter "....
> So? That's a fairly common requirement in the real world.
>
> OO can still do that, & if you are really concerned regarding industry standards, .doc is definately one. & yes, it's proprietary, & closed. It's your job to meet it, if you want to work with organisations that require it at present. The FOSS world I think wins by being facilitative, the MS approach is obstructive. If we can meet someone's preferences, we do, working with others, rather than requiring them to change to meet our preferences.
>
> Of course, we know our way is better, & try to gently show them the
> light :-)

Yes, there's an opportunity to say look, I don't have Word, because I
have an all-Linux environment at home (hint hint I live and breathe this
expertise you are looking for) but I can produce Word format with
OpenOffice, the Linux equivalent (hint hint I am familiar with the right
toolset AND I am co-operative).

Usually the reason agencies want Word is because they are going to wedge
your CV into their template. They are asking for Word so they can edit
it with the tools that they have.

It would indicate lack of clue at your prospective employer if the
requirement came straight from them, but that's not usually the case.

Stephen