[wellylug] TradeMe Linux jobs

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Jun 29 09:56:11 NZST 2008

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Jobs/IT-Jobs/Networking-systems/auction-162923104.htm?key=721623

> "Please send your CV in Word format (not as a .pdf or
> in .html format),
> with a cover letter "....

So? That's a fairly common requirement in the real world.

OO can still do that, & if you are really concerned regarding industry standards, .doc is definately one. & yes, it's proprietary, & closed. It's your job to meet it, if you want to work with organisations that require it at present. The FOSS world I think wins by being facilitative, the MS approach is obstructive. If we can meet someone's preferences, we do, working with others, rather than requiring them to change to meet our preferences.

Of course, we know our way is better, & try to gently show them the
light :-)

My normal comment in this situation, is along the lines of: "Sorry, I don't have MS Word, I use another Word Processing package. I can send you something you can open in Word, but as it is a closed standard, I can't guarantee MS Word will be able to read it properly."

So I'll do what I can to meet their requirements, but any problems they have are due to their chosen software's interoperability issues. They are still entitled to make such choices.

I have had Govt depts requiring all documents supplied to them to be created with Word, not just that they be doc files. They were happy with OO doc files, once they found they worked OK.

I think it is more productive to show how compatible we can be with whatever they choose, than try & tell them to use only what I believe is appropriate.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is more how many Linux related jobs are around now (esp vs a few years ago).

Which is pretty positive IMHO :-)

Cheers,

  Brent