[wellylug] internet

Jethro Carr jethro.carr at jethrocarr.com
Sat Mar 1 18:34:51 NZDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 17:24 +1300, Mark Foster wrote:
> Oh gawd, another 'me too' thread.
>
> Suggest that the best place to ask about Internet Performance woes is your
> ISP helpdesk.  Any problem big enough to get the attention of multiple
> ISPs will likely wind up discussed in a more appropriate forum, such as
> perhaps the Broadband and/or ADSL mailing lists, NZNOG, or perhaps
> geekzone, computerworld forums...

Whilst this is a bit of a dumb thread, because "me too" threads and "my
internet doesn't work well" threads are pretty unhelpful if you don't
include details like where you are, what your provider is, and what
technologies (cable, adsl, wireless, etc) you are using, I don't see any
problem with using Wellylug's list for this sort of thing.

NZNOG is aimed at network operators, not home broadband users, and a
number of people on NZNOG can be quite rude when it comes to less
technically skilled people asking questions.

Geekzone, computerworld, are just groups of people, like Wellylug is a
group of people. People tend to discuss their problems with the group
they feel comfortable with the most.

At the end of the day, if you don't care about a thread, a) don't read
it, b) don't bother responding to it.

> (Oversubscription is nothing new, you need to make your ISP aware that
> you're not happy.  If theres a fault with your service, address it as a
> fault with your service... what other people experience is irrelevant if
> you're not getting what YOU pay for every month.)

It is useful to ask others, because it helps you find out if the problem
is specific to you, or if there are known issues affecting a lot of
people. Then you can contact your ISP knowing a bit about the background
of the issue, so that first level support don't try and feed you some
lies.

I know that Telstracable is currently giving a $20 credit to it's cable
users (I'm on the 10mbit plan, not sure about the lesser plans) because
of issues being caused due to "upgrade work", but I've also heard that
they aren't signing new customers up much due to the fact the network is
currently overloaded.

--
Jethro Carr

www.jethrocarr.com