[wellylug] internet

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Sat Mar 1 19:00:17 NZDT 2008

> Whilst this is a bit of a dumb thread, because "me too" threads and "my
> internet doesn't work well" threads are pretty unhelpful if you don't
> include details like where you are, what your provider is, and what
> technologies (cable, adsl, wireless, etc) you are using, I don't see any
> problem with using Wellylug's list for this sort of thing.
>
> NZNOG is aimed at network operators, not home broadband users, and a
> number of people on NZNOG can be quite rude when it comes to less
> technically skilled people asking questions.

I wasn't suggesting NZNOG, you'll note. ;-)
There are both ADSL[1] and Broadband[2] lists, both are relatively
underutilised these days. I personally was involved in ADSL@, but never
subscribed to Broadband at .

> Geekzone, computerworld, are just groups of people, like Wellylug is a
> group of people. People tend to discuss their problems with the group
> they feel comfortable with the most.
>
> At the end of the day, if you don't care about a thread, a) don't read
> it, b) don't bother responding to it.

Not my call, of course, however as a Linux User Group in Wellington I
would hope that the majority of what was discussed on here would have some
relationship to Linux. Geekzone, Computerworld, are 'General IT'
communities and their focus is obviously more generalised than a group
that was formed with the intention to advocate, promote and support
Linux/OSS.

The original poster may find that as a result of the wider audience, more
relevant answers may be provided on a more appropriate forum.  (Not that
i'm knocking your fairly informative contribution Jethro...)

>> (Oversubscription is nothing new, you need to make your ISP aware that
>> you're not happy.  If theres a fault with your service, address it as a
>> fault with your service... what other people experience is irrelevant if
>> you're not getting what YOU pay for every month.)
>
> It is useful to ask others, because it helps you find out if the problem
> is specific to you, or if there are known issues affecting a lot of
> people. Then you can contact your ISP knowing a bit about the background
> of the issue, so that first level support don't try and feed you some
> lies.
>
> I know that Telstracable is currently giving a $20 credit to it's cable
> users (I'm on the 10mbit plan, not sure about the lesser plans) because
> of issues being caused due to "upgrade work", but I've also heard that
> they aren't signing new customers up much due to the fact the network is
> currently overloaded.

I don't disagree that info = power and it's helpful to get an idea for
what else is going on... but I would adopt the principle that before you
get 'unconventional' in your attempts to garner information, the 'usual
means' should be tried first.  ISPs that offer MOTD services and Helpdesks
'should' be the people with the authoritive information (and the best
overall view of any problem affecting multiple customers.)  Thus while
they may try to feed their customers nonsense, we have to at least listen
to what they have to say first.  (Not all Helpdesk'rs are evil!)

I did attempt to contribute something useful to the thread, but I do also
feel it is not unfair to point out that there are more appropriate ways to
broach the same subject material.  This is however just my personal point
of view and is hardly an attempt to be representative of WellyLUG.

(Id have moaned at the helpdesk, noted what they had to say, and then
assuming I was not satisfied, _then_ attempted to put a bigger picture
together using 'other means' be they mailing lists, web forums or
whatever...)

Just my 2c.

Mark.

[1] http://www.unixathome.org/adsl/