[wellylug] PuppyOS Modem Issue

MDM Productions thefrasers at clear.net.nz
Wed Mar 26 20:13:13 NZDT 2008

Jethro Carr wrote:

>On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 13:39 -0500, MDM Productions wrote:
>

>>Further to this, if it helps, the USB drive install running in RAM can
>>see the modem but the hard drive install finds "no /etc/wvdial.conf
>>file" and no modem.
>>

>hi John,
>
>Since I've never used puppy, I can't give you much help in regards to
>getting it configured in the puppy-specific way - perhaps posting your
>question to one of the puppy mailing lists?
>

>However, it sounds to me like it just needs the wvdial config generated.
>
>Try running the following command as the root user:
>wvdialconf
>
>This command will check for any modem connected to the serial port that
>it can handle, and then generates a basic config file
>in /etc/wvdial.conf
>
>Please email back with all the output generated by the wvdialconf
>command, as well as the output of the following command:
>cat /etc/wvdial.conf
>
>If the modem is detected, that will give you all the information you
>need to be able to configure the modem for whatever GUI program you are
>using.

Jethro:
wvdialconfig produced the following;
ttyS0<*>: ATQO V1 E1 -- ATQO V1 E1 -- ATQO V1 E1 -- nothing.
ttyS1<*>: ATQO V1 E1 -- ATQO V1 E1 -- ATQO V1 E1 -- nothing.
Port Scan<*1>: S2  S3
ttyS4<info>: No such device or address
Port Scan<*>: S4
tty_ESSO<info>: No such device or address
Port Scan<*>: S_ESSO
ttyS_PCTEL0<info>: No such device or address
Port Scan<*1>: S_PCTEL0

(...and an apology for not detecting a modem and the query about
configuring it with setserial.)

cat /etc/wvdial.config produced: No such file of directory.

Am I wrong to just enter the command in the console? Is there a step
more to becoming root that I have not got my head around?

Thanks,
John.