[wellylug] Setting up Dial Up Connection on TelstraClear

Rob and Carla r.wall at paradise.net.nz
Sun May 18 22:03:41 NZST 2008

This is right at the low end of basic questions to be asking but...  I'm trying to set up a dial up internet connection on TelstraClear with Ubuntu 8.04.    While they don't officially support Linux, TelstraClear do have help file for Linux which was written in 1998 and makes quite a read.

The Ubuntu instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/internet/C/modem-connect.html say that I 'simply' need the ISP Phone Number; Username; Password; Domain Name Server (DNS) addresses.  However, having made my best guess at these things the modem doesn't even attempt to dial.  It's a laptop, but I bought an external modem thinking that would sort it out.  It has a serial cable so I've tried plugging it in via a serial to USB converter and with a converter to plug it into the serial printer port.  I need to confirm that I have the right DNS number, but I don't think that would stop it dialling if it's wrong.  I guess it hasn't found the hardware.

Is there something obvious that I'm not doing?  Is there a help file for dial up with what all the settings are supposed to be?

The stuff you see on-line gives the impression it's pretty simple but it seems to be beyond me.  Might not have enough brains for Linux I guess.

Rob