[wellylug] Server virtualisation

Cliff Pratt enkidu at cliffp.com
Fri Nov 28 09:30:08 NZDT 2008

Callum Grant wrote:
> The main intention is to have one distro as a game server, one as a LAMP
> server which I can easily reinstall when something goes wrong and
> another as an Ubuntu repository for my house (not really that useful but
> I plan on using a lot of capacity and I have unlimited bandwidth;-) Also
> it would be neat to hav another as a dedicated filesharing server that
> can be set to download ditros and do video conversion etc.
>
> I will ensure that the server has plenty of ram and it will get a quad
> core phenom processor + some extra network cards if I need them (in
> rackspace).

"reinstall when something goes wrong". Oh dear. This is not Windows.

An option apart from Xen is VMWare server (free) or VMWorkstation (I
believe it to be free).

I started with VMWare server at home and haven't bothered to use Xen at
home, but I use it a lot at work.

IMO VMWare Server is easier than Xen to configure and run, but you may
prefer the non-proprietary route.

Cheers,

Cliff