[wellylug] Making new CD for Ubuntu 8.04

John Durham john.modec at xtra.co.nz
Fri Jul 17 16:08:11 NZST 2009

Damian Kissick wrote:
> John,
>
> While it may seem to be wasteful, the time taken to burn the latest
> distribution, Ubuntu 9.04, onto CD could out-weight the benefits and
> effort exerted on that of getting the 8.04 media working (unless there's
> an explicit reason why you wish to stay on 8.04 - perhaps for LTS?).
Only because I had a copy (now defunct, and was not aware of other
releases).

> Are you able to provide some more information as to your situation? i.e.
> What install disk are you using currently? Server/Desktop/Alternate?
> 32/64-bit and what partitioning scheme are you using?  What is the
> partitioning on the disk prior to installing?  When it 'hangs', does
> there appear to be any hard drive activity?
Have been using it for desktop systems as a convenient way to set up
older PCs
with a workable OS (preferred over Windows).
> That aside, methinks the installer may not be coping with the previous
> partition table or formatting of the disk.  If you are not concerned
> about the previous information on the drive, you may have some luck
> after wiping the partition table clear with something like cfdisk,
> gparted or similar.
Even my copy of delpart will do that.
Meetings where they might be found are difficult for me to get to, due
to other commitments.
   You could also attempt the alternate installer CD
> and see whether you have any success as I've found the text-based
> alternative not only provides some more verbose output, but occasionally
> tackles tasks such as partitioning in a different manner.  If you use a
> text-based installer, each process generally outputs to the second (or
> third?) terminal screen.
>
>  - Damian
The windows-like environment of Ubuntu works best for me.
It is a good way to keep the hardware useful.
--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 571215671   Fax/Phone 64 4 5286786