[wellylug] Multimedia Nightmares

Tim McKenzie tjm1983 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 15:11:30 NZST 2009

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:51:57 Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, Sony, and a number of the other big CE
> companies are much more interesting that Microsoft if you want
> to look into patents surrounding A/V codecs.

Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft appears to own three current patents in
New Zealand:
Method of purifying waste water from dairies
Vapour barrier for use in the heat insulation of buildings
Method for coating fibers with glue

Sony owns 68, some of which look much more likely to cover A/V
codecs.  I don't know if any of them have been tested in court.  I
suspect that, like other software patents I've heard about,
they're incredibly vague.  But no matter how clear they are, the
question of their exact extent is (even in theory) logically
undecidable (given any particular system of logic with decidable
axioms).  That's what you get when you allow patents on
mathematical algorithms.

Tim
<><