[wellylug] off-topic whining

Rebecca Ray honorary.kiwi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:11:47 NZST 2009

Since the majority of the discussion seems to be about offending women...
with very little input FROM women.
I'll just say that neither I, nor any of the women that I've spoken to are
offended by terms such as "Hey guys" or the like- in fact, we use them
often.
My personal opinion? Silly things like this make it MORE difficult to be a
woman in IT. I'm aware that I'm in the minority. I've had some pretty crap
experiences because of it. People making a big deal about standard language
usage being "sexist"? That doesn't help, it makes me feel as if more
attention is being called to my gender, that it sets me apart more.
There's equality, and then there's just... ridiculousness.
So, can we end this with a simple statement from one of the women on the
list (namely, me ;)):

Come on guys, lets get back to the geekery. :)