[wellylug] off-topic whining

Andrew Tarr andrewtarr at gmx.net
Tue Sep 15 16:41:02 NZST 2009

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:11:47 +1200
> Von: Rebecca Ray <honorary.kiwi at gmail.com>
> An: Wellington Linux Users Group <wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz>
> Betreff: Re: [wellylug] off-topic whining

> Since the majority of the discussion seems to be about offending women...
> with very little input FROM women.

I really don't think this is what is mostly being discussed.  That's how it started, sure, but the original issue raised a lot of other issues, such as:

*) is it acceptable to offer an opinion about wording when it makes you or could make others uncomfortable?

*) is it acceptable to respond to such suggestions with rudeness and insults?

*) is it acceptable to continue talking about this matter when a substantial number of the list is apparently sick of it?

*) is it acceptable to _stop_ talking about this matter when a substantial number of the list feel that the issues raised are important, but the issues have not been resolved?

It is the second point, I think, that the people wishing to continue the discussion feel the strongest about.  That's why we've had a member and a potential member walk out on us, too.  Not very many people agree with Daniel about the original issue, but a lot of them do agree that he shouldn't have recieved the treatment he has.

-Andrew.