[wellylug] Telecom T Stick under Ubuntu

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Tue Sep 15 20:02:18 NZST 2009

> Also noted, once configured, gnome-ppp can no longer find my modem...
>
> Going to continue fiddling... for the record, from my earlier attempts
> with gnome-ppp, this is the log result:
>
> --> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf.
> ~[7f]}#@!}!}'} }4}"}&} } } } }#}$@#}%}&F|_[0b]VJ~
> --> PPP negotiation detected.
> --> Unable to run /usr/sbin/pppd.
> --> Check permissions, or specify a "PPPD Path" option in wvdial.conf.

With the above in mind i've googled.
First hit implied a potential permissions problem.

For test purposes I chmod 777 /usr/sbin/pppd and this gets me a little
further.
Then I get errors with regards /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and
/etc/ppp/chap-secrets.  The default permissions on all of these seem to
require root - which seems insane to me, but anyway...

I set chmod 777 on all of the above and I continue to get an error.

Taking another approach, I run gnome-ppp as root and it connects first
time (!).

However...

I had to then manually run 'route add default ppp0' from a root prompt.
AND. Firefox still think that it's needing to run in offline mode.  (ssh,
from a terminal, works...)

progress!