[wellylug] Ubuntu too many kernels

Tim O'Flaherty tim.oflaherty at woosh.co.nz
Fri Feb 12 12:02:53 NZDT 2010

Hi Carl

Check this out -
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/10/17/remove-ubuntu-kernels-you-dont-need
/

-----Original Message-----
From: wellylug-bounces at lists.wellylug.org.nz
[mailto:wellylug-bounces at lists.wellylug.org.nz] On Behalf Of Carl Turney
Sent: Friday, 12 February 2010 11:45 a.m.
To: Wellington Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: [wellylug] Ubuntu too many kernels

Hi,

> Can't you just:
>
> sudo apt-get remove "kernel image name"
>
> e.g. sudo apt-get remove linux-image-2.6.28-11-server
>
> This should remove the old kernel and image files
> from /boot and update Grub.

Sounds logical to me, but then I am a real novice to the whole "replacing
a kernel" thing.

As long as no one else here posts a message like "Don't do that.  It
leaves lint in various xyzzy configuration files" in the mean time, I'll
try it when I get back home this weekend.

If nothing else, it may give me an opportunity to copy & paste any error
messages to the List.

Cheers,

Carl

Wellington Linux Users Group Mailing List: wellylug at lists.wellylug.org.nz