[wellylug] ADSL modem and Linux router/firewall without double NAT

jumbophut jumbophut at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 13:04:37 NZDT 2010

On 1/5/10, Daniel Reurich <daniel at centurion.net.nz> wrote:
> If you get a dynalink modem and some other brands, they can be placed in
> half bridge mode and will act as a transparent bridge giving your
> firewall router the assigned IP address and no nat is done.   You will
> of  course have to create an alias IP address on firewall/routers
> external interface in the range of the modem as well to enable
> management of the modem after setting this up, but it should achieve
> your objective.

Thanks Daniel.  I have purchased a DSE XH9949, which is more or less
identical to the Dynalink DTA1320, and will try the half-bridging.  If
I have success I will post to the list.

FWIW, I have poked around a bit inside the modem, which does run
Linux, and tracked down the Linux source (DSE doesn't make it
available, but it's just a rebadged TP-Link and that company does make
it available).  It looks as if it would be possible to run open-wrt on
it, albeit with a binary driver for the ADSL chip.  Something to try
when I have a spare couple of days.

--
Tony (echo 'spend!,pocket awide' | sed 'y/acdeikospntw!, /l at omcgtjuba.phi/')