[wellylug] Install Suggestions

Bruce Hoult bruce at hoult.org
Sun Apr 3 16:45:28 NZST 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Grant McLean <grant at mclean.net.nz> wrote:
>> Next step: if you want that form factor then try an iMac. They run
>> Linux great. And have real video
>
> Yeah in theory the advantage of this system is price.  This box was well
> under half the price of a similar iMac

That's a bit surprising. The reviews I found from when that HP came
out had it at US$999 or a bit less, while 21" iMacs were $200 more at
US$1199 but have 3+ GHz Core 2 Duo (Core i3 now) and, as mentioned,
"real" video card.

More, yeah, but nowhere near double.

> Also is there any advantage to "real video" if I don't play games?  My
> work machine has a decent Nvidia card and my laptop has an Intel
> integrated chipset - I can't see any difference in normal use.

Yeah I don't care too much myself. Modern OSes do seem to be throwing
more and more work at the GPU though, and not only for strictly
"graphics" things.